Saturday 20 September 2014

BN Travel: Extolling the Warmth of the People & the Beauty of Culture, Lamide Akintobi Shares Her Rwandan Experience

Nigerian media personality, Lamide Akintobi describes herself as a freelance Journalist, and aspiring documentary maker. She is also a presenter at EbonyLife TV, where she co-hosts ‘The Spot’ with Ebuka Obu-Uchendu and Zainab Balogun.
After a recent trip to Rwanda, BellaNaija asked her to share her story with us on BN Travel. We really enjoyed her account of the trip and we hope you do to.
***
The first thing you think of when you hear about Rwanda (that’s if you’ve heard much about Rwanda) is genocide. Going on a six day trip there as part of a big media tourism experience, I half expected to find a country trying to rebuild itself, or a country similar to other African countries I’d been to, like Ghana or the Gambia. Thank goodness I love surprises, because I was in for a series of great ones.
I flew there via RwandAir; it was my first flight with them, and I was pleasantly surprised. Great plane, friendly crew, and I can’t forget the beautiful lounge at MMA even before we boarded.
Surprise number 2 was the process at the airport – I simply walked into immigration, paid the $30 visa fee and was stamped through. Anyone who has gone through Nigerian immigration knows that a quick, unfussy process is like a breath of fresh air. Fun fact: There are no plastic bags in Rwanda. None. I had one with me which I’d put some snacks in, and it was taken from me at the airport, because they don’t like litter, and plastic bags are non-biodegradable, so they don’t want them clogging up their drains and such. Color me impressed!

No comments:

Post a Comment